Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This is the GAME that never ends

Q: If you see a dead horse and you have a stick, what do you do?
A: Talk about your GAME plan!

Seriously, I am really beginning to wonder how this graduate course would run when school was in full session rather than shutdown mode. Actively working on a GAME plan, writing lesson plans, blogging, and posting discussions each and every week is draining enough with relaxed classes. Imagine what it would be like after straight teaching for several hours a day. But it is what it is and neither the instructor nor the students have the key to freedom until we get the course survey in two weeks.
To that end, I will now answer the required questions for week 6:

Q: What have you learned so far that you can apply in your instructional practice? What goals are you still working toward?
A: I have learned a great deal about the use of technology to create and give assessments. Between programs and projects, students can easily prove their competency and understanding of material. Furthermore, they may have more interest in performing well if the information is presented in this new fashion. I am still working on developing my leadership skills which will take time and experience. I will just have to watch for opportunities as they arise.

Q: Based on the NETS-T, what new learning goals will you set for yourself?
A: Another goal I would be interested in is to help inspire student creativity. So many students are used to looking for the perfect way to do their work just as the teacher wants. I would like my students to create something in their own image. There really shouldn’t be a right or wrong way to learn if the information is being properly understood and retained.

Q: If you are not ready to set new learning goals, how will you extend what you have learned so far?
A: There is no overnight change to be made with a GAME plan. I will continue my methods of research and interaction in order to develop my skills in assessments and leadership. The learning process never really ends (even for teachers). I am sure that my confidence will build along with my ability level and the GAME plan will naturally progress as long as I continue to monitor and evaluate my growth as a professional.

Q: What learning approaches will you try next time to improve your learning?
A: I believe that the best way to learn new material and skills is through collaboration. This is especially true when the skills you are trying to learn focus on your interaction with others regardless of their age.

4 comments:

  1. Miss Mellor
    I have to admit I laughed out loud when I read the first few lines of your blog post!! It is getting a bit over the top especially when I do not have much to report back about.
    I have to agree about your comment about collaboration there is nothing better than bouncing ideas off other teachers, or even students. Learning from each other's mistakes can be very helpful as well.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Mellor,
    I always look forward to your comments. You must be a lot of fun in the classroom. I have been feeling the same way about my GAME plan. What I feel that I have learned is that I need to use more technology and student collaboration but this isn't the best time to think about that sort of thing as summer just starts. I do know that I have learned valuable things that I will learn eventually.

    Scott Monthie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine and Scott,
    Thanks for the notes. Collaboration really is important and I do look forward to using more of it after I spend the summer telling everyone to leave me alone because I am on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are right, it is hard to think about all this with summer starting. But I am thinking about next year and how I can start the year off on the right foot. And I am going to have to make sure I collaborate with other teachers to keep up on incorporating technology with the curriculum.

    ReplyDelete