Wednesday, May 19, 2010

GAME plan set up

As everyone who enjoys the cinema knows, you cannot have action without first cueing the lights and camera. Likewise, one cannot attempt an educational action plan without determining the necessary components of such plan. This week’s assignment essentially asks what I need to accomplish my GAME plan (tech resources, collaboration, and specific actions). As my game plan focuses on developing assessments and leadership skills, my greatest need will be for research. This will involve both paper and online searches of current educational journals for the varying standards used in assessments in the state. Collaboration with grade and content level colleagues would provide the most useful information, but other teachers within my district are also a valuable resource in discussing the success and failure of different forms of evaluation. In terms of leadership, I believe the greatest resource would be my department head as he could help in identifying core curriculum that could be addressed through technology. Furthermore, he has the experience of creating professional development workshops and collaboratives for the past few years.

One specific piece of additional information I need is how computerized testing is actually implemented. My school was able to get a computer program set up this year, but it was only for the multiple choice math assessment. I wouldn’t feel comfortable designing a test that involves technology that I have never used before. Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer (2009) note the increased reliance upon data to develop and modify instruction. Lessons are supposed to be altered to raise scores. However, if the test and/or answer sheet is created incorrectly, the data becomes skewed and instruction suffers as a result.

I would also need to learn the process that one has to undertake in order to create a workshop program. Creating an informative and worthwhile presentation would be rather futile if I was unable to gain permission through the proper channels to run the program.

Currently, I am part of the planning commission to review the common assessments used by our district. Since they were only implemented within the past two years, I am on the same level of understanding as the other teachers within the group. This has helped my confidence in suggesting changes and discussing complaints from myself and other teachers who give the tests within my building. While I see success with these first steps, I know my leadership goal will be harder to attain as our professional development program is being completely revamped by our administration for the upcoming year.

My learning strategy will be based upon opportunity. Not only will I become involved in collaborative groups that I have avoided in my first years of teaching, I will also seek out opportunities to broaden my technology information base. This will help me develop the skills to think in new terms and practice flexibility in my professional life. Having a set time to research and contemplate novel ideas is not necessarily the best or only method.

Reference:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

7 comments:

  1. Miss Mellor
    This sounds great!! I like how you are taking advantage of other staff in the building. I also like how you are not affraid of new technologies. I am not sure about your district, but in mine there are many people who have nothing but complaints about the technology that is offered to us. However, I have not decided if it is the technology they are complaining about or just that they are being asked to do something new? Do you have this in your district as well?
    Your leadership role in the planning commission group for reviewing common assessments sounds great. Best of luck w that!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mention that you would like to have opportunities to work with other teachers in your grade level and in similar content areas. Something you may want to consider doing is creating a blog on a teacher website that would allow you to gain access to more than just the teachers in your school/district. I always find it is very helpful to get as much input as possible. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, I like to say that our school is the educational version of the Hershey's Factory. Namely, our motto seems to be "change is bad". Few want to try something new and often act like the middle schoolers they teach when asked to try something that is not part of the typical day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I really appreciate the suggestion. As used to blogging for class that I am, I still do not automatically think of exploring other blogs to suit my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again another film reference. I love it! You must be a movie buff like I am. I do like your idea of creating a workshop! I am usually frustrated at the workshops/staff development that my district offers. I think it is great that you want to create your own workshops! My district is also working on comment assessment and I have to admit to not knowing much about that. That is something I need to work on.

    Scott Monthie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craig Jones said...

    Ms. Mellor,

    I think that it is great that as a young teacher you get to be a part of the district assessment process and can be an influence on the implementation of online testing. We have briefly heard talk about bringing the online testing format into our school, but nothing more ever came of it. It seems that as schools and teachers become more and more data driven in their approach to teaching, a tool as powerful and simple as online testing is a no brainer! We do need to make sure that testing accurately reflects the knowledge and skills that students are required to learn, though, and to this end you are definitely correct in that we've got to create good tests in order to collect useful data. For the last two years our state mandated social studies test, the CRCT, has been faulty and declared invalid. This year is the first year in which we can use any examination scores to help aid our instructional decision making.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also think it is a great thing for you to be apart of the district assessment process. We just got our CRCT results back here in Gwinnett County, GA. We were pleasantly surprised at our school. They also just decided to cancel the 1st and 2nd graders taking the CRCT next year to save money. Phew., I thought it was hard giving the 3-5 grade tests; giving it to the younger one's is definitely more of a stress! I think having some fresh ideas is definitely a great idea.

    ReplyDelete