Sunday, July 5, 2009

Three Things a New Teacher Should Know

A common belief in the educational system is that teachers should figure out the general run of a school on their own. The national educational support system often focuses on lesson planning, classroom management, and reflection. Everything else is left to the ultimate teacher: Time. So I thought that I would post the top three things I wish I had known going into teaching. Please feel free to add to the list. I'm sure it will help.

1) Some students will never be absent. They are never the students you actually want to see everyday.
2) Teaching middle school is the same as being in middle school. If you don't pick a good lunch table on the first day, you'll regret it for the rest of the year.
3) Come in early, but not too early. Administrators notice the first ten or so teachers that show up in the morning. Being number 12 will help you stand out without getting you caught the day your alarm doesn't go off. This will happen at least once, usually on a day you're getting observed. I'm not joking. It happened to me.

1 comment: